The Economic Development offices of both Hamilton & Niagara serve as single windows on business assistance in their respective regions.
Hamilton & Niagara have come together to market a combined region of over one million people with complementary strengths in freight transportation, agriculture & agri-food, health sciences research, advanced education, advanced manufacturing, and more. Examples of the advantages of combination include Niagara’s border location and support services for exporters, and Hamilton’s 24-hour cargo/passenger airport and major Great Lakes seaport.
This partnership, underway since late 2014, has proven to be an example to other municipalities and regions, and has served as an inspiration to creativity and relationship development for everyone involved.
Both offices have experienced economic development professionals that can help businesses with:
- Site or office selection
- Market information & general research
- Land development & re-development (including industrial lands, brownfields, downtowns)
- Foreign direct investment
- Dealing with municipal governments generally
In addition, both offices can connect any inquiring person or business with support services for:
- Small business creation
- Immigrant entrepreneurship
- Hiring new employees, co-op students, or interns
- Training & education
- Innovation & intellectual property development
- Export development
Industrial sectors of focus for both regions include:
- Clean technology
- Life & health sciences (including Sports analytics & performance enhancement)
- Agriculture & agri-food
- Advanced manufacturing
- Information & communications technology (ICT)
- Educational technology